Sunday, January 20, 2008

A Round of Applause for Humility

When we think about arrogant and boastful people who want to make a name for themselves we first think of those who seek great power and wealth. We think of political leaders and business executives with a competitive drive for self-propagation who will take down anything in their way to make money or get into office. But there is another form of name-making, one which is my personal struggle, and which works much more subtly. It's seeking a name for doing good. It's seeking fame for humility, as ironic as that might sound. When in circles that exalt humility and service, it's easy to lose sight of the purpose and get distracted by people's praises, and to begin to serve people for the praises, whether it be from the person being served or the people that watch. Since this is something I struggle with, here are some things I think about to cope with it:

Beauty over Receiving Praise - these are in tough competition with each other because receiving praise feels great. And I don't think there is anything wrong with saying thank you to compliments or appreciating another person for the good they do. But in terms of what the ultimate goal is, beauty trumps praise. When I am looking around and wondering how people perceive me, I am invariably unfulfilled, or at least my fulfillment is short-lived. But when I'm more intent, excited and appreciative of the beauty of seeing someone's life changed - seeing a struggling student receive an A on a test, seeing a hungry person fed, seeing a depressed person content - the joy is truly unspeakable. When the joy of seeing the kingdom come fills our minds, we will be more excited about serving each other, and our service will be more authentic.

We have been loved first - When I think of the love of Christ for me and all of humanity, the love that led him to the cross, any love I think I have for people pales in comparison. I become humbled because my love is conditional - I like to think I love people, but I'm full of judgment and envy. That is why the commandment is not only to love our neighbor as ourselves, but also to love God- because we need Jesus to change our hearts if we are to love people perfectly.

Celebrating the victory of others as they are my own - this subverts any competition or envy of success. When we see ourselves in a community of people striving for a mutual goal and hope of seeing the world filled with peace and love and wholeness, we work together and have excitement about good things happening, whether they come from us or someone else.

Rest: When I rest and reflect, I rebel against my mindset that I can be a hero and change the world myself. It is an acknowledgment that the world continues when I'm not there. Intentional rest is far from laziness. It is an active rebellion against pride.

And a verse: "Beware of practicing your righteousness before men to be noticed by them; otherwise you have no reward with your Father who is in heaven. So when you give to the poor, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and the streets, so that they may be honored by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. But when you give to the poor, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving will be in secret; and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you." -Matthew 6:1-4 (and it goes on to say the same things about the hiddenness of prayer and fasting)

So let us not seek to make a name for ourselves from wealth, power, service, sacrifice, humility, spirituality, or any other way. Let us give God the praise, because God is the one from whom love and power, and power for love, comes anyway. And let us get excited about the work God is doing, and take joy in seeing the world changed from our hands and the hands of others.



No comments:

Post a Comment