Saturday, November 22, 2008

Hollywood in the DRC

As the press is giving the DRC some more ink, celebrities are making their way into the pictures. In the past couple days I've heard that both Ben Affleck and George Clooney are speaking up about the DRC, and I think Ben Affleck is there right now. I'm encouraged that these celebrities are using their agency to bring awareness to the conflict. Celebrities have a repository of power that is best when it's tapped by important issues and crises. In a sense they have their unique role, which is directing people's eyes to what's going on. But on the other hand it seems to trivialize what is happening. On the UN News website there are pictures of George Clooney playing basketball with soldiers in the DRC. It's a fun picture, but if people remember that before they remember the millions of deaths and rapes that have happened there, then all George Clooney does is give us a good diversion. But all in all, I think it's good, and I think George Clooney is probably well-intentioned. I think what this shows is that raising awareness may or may not be healthy, depending on how it's done. Hopefully it will go in a good direction.

2 comments:

  1. Good thoughts Ren, Here is the link to the pictures:

    http://www.un.org/apps/news/photostories_detail.asp?PsID=16

    When I compare the feelings I have after looking at these pictures with the feelings I get after reading an article and seeing pictures of refugee camps there is a drastic difference in my heart. The feelings from the later propel me into action; whereas the feelings from the Clooney pictures make me think George Clooney is using his power for good. I think it is beneficial to give all types of press coverage to issues like these; but of utmost importance to show direct coverage so that we eliminate "good feelings" and get to the heart of the problem and how to solve it.

    Does that make sense? I hope so...My question to you then would be what can we do here in America that can bring peace to the DRC?

    -Saona

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first thing that we can do is pray for the Church in the DRC. We can't underestimate the importance of prayer. Not only do we intercede on their behalf, but we're also enjoined to them by bearing their burdens.

    Another effective measure I've seen is from my own experience (so this will sound like I'm plugging the project I'm involved in). The project I'm working on at the Center for Reconciliation is bringing together 100 Christian leaders from 6 countries in the Great Lakes region (including a number of pastors and priests from the cities in the DRC that have been raided by the rebels) to discuss how our Christian identity should prevent us from killing one another. It will allow Christian leaders to discuss how to deal with the tribalism (namely, the Hutu-Tutsi conflict) that causes even Christians to kill each other. So maybe Americans can help by giving money to projects like this. In fact, there are a number of organizations (ones which we are partnering with) on the ground in these countries that Americans can give money to - World Vision, Mennonite Central Committee, and African Leadership and Reconciliation Ministries (ALARM).

    If someone felt a particular call to do something about the conflict long term, they could volunteer or work for one of these organizations.

    But again, since most of us who read about these events in the newspapers will not be going to the DRC, keeping this crisis in prayer is very important.

    Here's the website for the CFR's Great Lakes Initiative: http://www.divinity.duke.edu/reconciliation/pages/programs/greatlakes.html

    ReplyDelete