Saturday, December 6, 2008

Theologian Jocks



I wonder which theologians in the history of the Church were athletes. As I'm studying for my Church History exam, I'm realizing that many of the theologians we read use athletic metaphors. I bet Ignatius was a runner - he was pretty bent on getting martyred, talking about wooing lions so they would eat him, and such. That kind of masochism must come from a runner. And Gregory of Nyssa used some athletic metaphors when he wrote about St. Macrina. She could bear sickness like a champ, so she would be good at a sport with a high tolerance for pain too - maybe wrestling. So I guess athletic metaphors are not only for the simple-minded. Some of the greatest theological thinkers liked to think about sports. (These are pictures of my housemates Ben and Thomas, Girard, and me standing at a bus stop on the day of our epic Church History exam. We were getting pumped).

No comments:

Post a Comment