Friday, July 18, 2008

Ego v. Othercentric

Today I was reminded of a quote by C.S. Lewis that had a huge impact on me a few years ago, but has drifted out of my life. It was in the last few sentences of the chapter on pride in Mere Christianity, where he says essentially that a humble person will not go on and on about their flaws, but rather they will take a deep interest in others. When I had read that before I remember setting out to having that others-focused attitude, but as I look on the past year or two of my life, my own desires and pursuits have pushed that mindset away. I'm glad that God reminded me of this because although my natural tendency is toward self-obsession, I truly do find more joy in celebrating the lives of others than focusing on myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment