Saturday, July 26, 2008

Why I Like Shane Claiborne

A few nights ago I went to see Shane Claiborne's Jesus for President tour with some friends. Afterwards, and for the few days following, people have been asking me how it was, and I usually tell them "I love what Shane Claiborne is doing." Then when they ask details I have a hard time saying what I liked so much about it. So after thinking about it, I've realized that what is so encouraging about Shane Claiborne's writing, speaking, and lifestyle is that he begins with what the Scriptures say about Jesus and and how we should live, and then models his lifestyle off of that, rather than beginning with his own interests, affections, and lifestyle and trying to fit a Christian identity into that.

During the first half of the talk, Shane and his co-writer Chris Haw talked about the political sphere during Jesus' time, and emphasized how Jesus used explicitly political language to subvert the powers of Caesar. So he wasn't politically ignorant, nor was he marrying God to the powers that be, but rather he was testifying that with his arrival a whole new kingdom has come that will take over the powers of this world. But it will not take over in the manner the world is used to - by wealth and power and prestige - instead it will rule by becoming small, becoming the least, and serving the world in love and humility. This observation about Jesus' time has direct application to our political situation in America, where the Church is either manipulated by politics (traditionally by the Conservative agenda but now increasingly by the democratic party), or pretends that it can function without acknowledging the political situation. But what Jesus did is turn politics on its head by testifying of the Kingdom of God - that he is the King - which scared the crap out of the political leaders of the time.

I think we need to keep our eye on Shane Claiborne, because he is really becoming a leader worth following, who is drawing the Church away from its love affair with America and into deep intimacy with Christ and a lifestyle that Jesus intended for us.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Ren,

    Been reading your blog for a while now, don't know how I ran across it. Good stuff!

    I wish I had seen Shane and Chris, sounds like it was good. I met one of Chris' neighbors in Camden House a couple weeks ago. They're doing some great things. True, true, good stuff they've been doing and talking and living.

    The thing I've noticed from earlier people I've read (Brian McLaren particularly) is that when too many people jump on the bandwagon, they start following a person instead of following Christ. I hope Shane's message jumps across that barrier!

    aL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear from you Aaron! Thanks for your input - I definitely affirm what you say about following Christ first. I've seen that same story about people following the buzzy leaders all too often. I hope the same for Shane's message.

    That's cool that you got to visit the Camden House!

    ReplyDelete