Wednesday, July 30, 2008

God's Economics

Over the past year I've been working for the researcher/writer/capacity builder Amy Sherman, and one of our main projects has been implementing a program that teaches at-risk kids about economics and how to manage their money. It seems like a worthy program since disenfranchised communities are the predominant victims of predatory lenders, and it empowers kids by helping them to earn their way out of poverty. However, at moments throughout the year I've had reservations about what I'm actually doing. Am I really helping kids, or am I just feeding their tendency toward materialism? Am I teaching them to build character, or am I teaching them to strive for the American dream? Am I helping them, or am I helping America's economy?

Over the past week I've been at the annual conference for the National Association of Street Schools, where they are making a zealous push to incorporate economics into the education of their network of schools. As I'm thinking more about Economics, I'm realizing it's not necessarily bad nor good, but rather a neutral science that can be harmful or beneficial. What's important is the value system that one employs as she or he approaches economics. Let me explain.

Economics is all about making choices. Because of scarcity (unlimited wants and limited resources to satisfy those wants) we are forced to make choices. Those choices have consequences. For example, since I have a limited number of hours in the day (24) I can spend 16 of those hours checking facebook and reading people's blogs, but the consequence is that I won't be able to join my friends when they go for a hike (do finish reading this before you turn off your computer and go outside).

So when I think about the resources that I have (time, money, emotional energy, possessions), I am always doing a cost-benefit analysis to determine the best way to use my resources, and the consequences of my potential decisions. Economics has given me reservations over the past year because too often people's value systems say "How will my choices benefit ME." That is why many businesses and individuals tend to oppress the weak with their decisions - because in a sinful world a person or company can make a self-promoting choice where the only negative consequences are faced by the marginalized in society.

However, a Christ-like way of doing economics asks "How will my choice serve the welfare of others, even if it costs me a great deal?" It's reversed from the way the world does it. When Jesus was in the garden before he was crucified, he did a cost-benefit analysis - the cost was his life, but the benefit was the life and freedom of others. So it is great to learn about economics, as long as it's coupled with a value system that puts God first, others second, and us third.

No comments:

Post a Comment